An easy, delicious gravy is always a great asset to any cook’s collection of recipes. Here is a cashew-based one with a good depth of flavor–great for potatoes, patties and entrees. I even know some folk who enjoy it ladled on top of a nice piece of whole-wheat bread!
Simply Delicious Gravy
Servings – 1 3/4 cups
Prep Time – 5 minutes
Cook Time – 5 minutes
Passive Time – 10 for soaking nuts, opt.
1 cup hot water
1/2 cup raw cashews
1 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
1 tbsp Chicken-Like Seasoning –-to make your own see http://chicken-style-seasoning
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp lite soy sauce
1 1/2 teas onion powder
1 tsp mushroom powder* or 1/4 tsp celery salt
1/4 teas garlic powder
1 cup hot water
1/4 cup diced onion, opt.
3 medium mushrooms, diced, opt.
- If you are using the onions and mushrooms, sauté them until tender using the same saucepan for cooking the gravy, then set aside and continue with directions.
- Combine first cup of water and cashews in blender—for ease of blending, you may want to let the cashews soak for 10 minutes.
- Add remaining blender ingredients while you wait.
- Blend until smooth as cream; pour into a small saucepan; rinse the blender with the remaining cup of hot water and add to the kettle.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until bubbly and thickened. Turn off heat, cover and set aside until needed–don’t overcook as it will reduce and get too thick.
*This contributes a depth of flavor you cannot get without it. I easily make my own by blending dried mushrooms to a find powder and storing with my spices.